Venezuela registered 861 new cases of COVID-19 with 8 deaths on Wednesday, as the total number of people affected by this disease reached 22,299 infections with 195 deaths, reported the Minister of Communication of the Caribbean country, Jorge Rodríguez.
The official indicated, in contact with public television VTV, that the cases reported on Wednesday 848 are “community broadcast”, while the remaining 13 are “imported”, as Venezuela calls infected migrants who return to the country via border crossings with Colombia and Brazil.
From Colombia, precisely 11 Venezuelans infected with the SARS-COV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, have returned.
The other two came from Ecuador and entered Venezuela through the passages of the western state of Táchira, which borders Colombia.
Likewise, Rodríguez said that in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas, 275 new cases were registered, which keeps him as the epicenter of the country’s pandemic.
“There are a significant number of cases in the capital’s district,” he said, before asking Venezuelans to comply with basic biosafety standards, such as wearing masks and frequent hand washing with soap and water.
“We are going to wear the mask permanently, at this point there is no doubt about its immense usefulness,” he added.
The central state of Miranda and the state of Táchira, with 134 and 120, respectively, are the other regions that reported the majority of cases in total on Wednesday.
In addition, the Venezuelan minister indicated that his country has carried out 1,567,431 tests to diagnose the disease so far, which gives a rate of 52,248 per million inhabitants, one of the highest in the region, he said.
Rodríguez also reported about 8 deaths from the new coronavirus – bringing the total to 195 -, one of them the Venezuelan consul in the Brazilian city of Boa Vista, Faustino Torella.
The Venezuelan opposition said this week that it believes there is an underreporting of 175 deaths and that, therefore, the actual number of deaths is at least 362 people.